Monday, February 27, 2012

What is Wisdom?

If I were to ask you where you got your wisdom, what would you say? Would you say I got my wisdom from school? Would you say I got my wisdom from my father? Would you say I got my wisdom from my own life? Would you be willing to say I got my wisdom from Jan's life experiences? Would you be interested in learning from my wisdom in order to find ways to keep yourself healthy?

When I got deathly ill I had to find ways to save my life because the medical profession new nothing of why or what had made me sick. Alternative practitioners were great but I was too sick and there wasn't enough experience in their own practices to truly know how to heal me. I am speaking of environmental pollutants and their effect on the human body, mind, and spirit. I was in a position to have to heal and research its possibility myself.

In my abundant and frantic research I found an article that attributed every illness from the start of the industrial revolution to a direct link to a toxic chemical. Now when you read 'toxic chemical' what do you think? Do you think of Agent Orange that soldiers in WW II were exposed to? Do you think of DDT that used to be spread around swamps and fields? Do you think of pesticides sprayed on your food? Do you think of the bottle of Windex under your sink or your laundry detergent, the perfume in your shampoo, or the Lysol you spray for germs? Because if you don't think of any of the former household products that you use everyday, please, please, please, do so.

I won't go into the particular chemicals in these products because there are too many to list but know this, you can get an MSDS sheet on every cleaning product or personal product in your home. If the MSDS sheet is not free on the net, write to the company. Legally they must make it available. And then check the individual chemicals for other resources because sometimes MSDS sheets minimize harm. Formaldehyde for instance is listed as odorless and harmless. I can tell you that it is not odorless because I can smell it. It is not harmless either. It damages the neurological system and some individuals have had to be sent to a rehabilitation center for treatment from inhaling formaldehyde over time.

The solution: white vinegar. Buy a spray bottle or empty a spray bottle filled with another product, rinse it thoroughly, then add half white vinegar and half water. This solution is anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal. Spray it on windows, counters, tile, wood furniture, floors, or put some vinegar in your laundry to get rid of smells. I use it an everything.

Years ago I had a single father as a client in my psychotherapy practice. He was distraught and frantic about what he was going to do with his five-year-old autistic daughter. To me he stunk of the laundry detergent Gain and I asked him what other household products he used. As he listed them, he also told me about the processed quick lunches he gave his daughter, and the plastic toys in her bedroom. It was no wonder the child was having such a difficult time. Plastic is petrochemical. Processed lunches are filled with preservatives, pesticides, and sometimes hormones and antibiotics from meat products.

Over the course of a few months this father changed his toxic products to non-toxic products, fed his daughter healthier lunches and treats, and soon noticed that his daughter's symptoms had abated quite a bit. I tell you this so you can think more seriously about the products you breathe into your body. If you think they just breathe out again, please think further. Your lungs are your body's air filtration system. Your organs need fresh air, especially your brain, so when you give them poisons to breathe in -- well, do I have your attention now?

I knew a realtor in Santa Fe, NM. He had been holding open houses for years. New houses are  full of chemicals. Formaldehyde is one of the nastiest chemicals and is in everything and I mean EVERYTHING. His office put in a new carpet during that time. Then he remodeled a part of his home. Within a short time he was experiencing symptoms that did not allow him to go into a home with any new products. Houses take 10-12 years to off-gas formaldehyde by the way. He was overexposed and his body got sick. Overexposure can happen easily. If each of your products meets the government standards do you think all your products combined still meet the government standards? Add it up -- the government standards are often minimized to accommodate large companies making billions of dollars. Read labels and check many sites to see what those chemicals do to the human body. You will be horrified. And know this: you are in control because without your dollar these companies will have to change what they ask you to buy.

I can tell you with no wavering statements that becoming environmentally and chemically sensitive is hell. HELL. Once you become effected by environmental chemicals you will have no other choice but to change your habits. Write to me and I can tell you what I went through. There is only one hospital in this nation that knows anything about how to work with the body once it is cellularly damaged and that hospital is in Dallas and costs $10,000 a month. If you think your insurance will cover it, think again.

I do consultations on this issue. Contact me for a fee schedule. I counsel MCS and other environmentally effected individuals. And once environmental toxins effect your adrenal glands, your immune system, your brain functioning, liver, and more, you cannot take a pill to get well. Getting well is a complete process, often different for each person depending upon which organs were effected and by what. It takes sometimes years to figure out what you need to do for the rebuilding process.

I cannot stress this enough, please go through your house. Put all your products on the kitchen table and spend some time investigating them. All you need for a clean house is white vinegar, water, and a spray bottle.

Write to me with questions or comments. I have spent the last 12 years researching all this material. Why? To save my own life. Now I want to impart the knowledge I have so painstakingly accumulated to you. Don't wait until you are diagnosed with cancer, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, or other chronic illnesses before you change these minor things in your lifestyle. Once you get sick, it isn't minor anymore.

Until next time,
Jan






No comments:

Post a Comment